Re: virus recipe for MyDoom

2004-01-31 15:09:59
At 13:04 2004-01-31 -0700, LuKreme wrote:

I prefer the name LookOut. But many people do not have a choice of email clients.

When an organization forces a mail client on it's employees, then the shortsighted IT of that organization should take it upon themselves to manage updates AND , as they should already, provide adequate firewalling for the organization. Say for instance, local users shouldn't be able to connect out of the corporate lan to initiate SMTP connections.

       * open and run attachents just for the hell of it.

I can certainly understand how someone might open this particular trojan.

Yea, of course, because in most cases it's coming from someone you barely know (if at all), because the sender address is forged from mail received by someone else, where all of their contacts are not going to intersect your own. And, as if anyone sends html mail in a ZIP.

I make no appologies that you have to be a MORON to open and launch an attachment which you didn't request, regardless of the type. I routinely ignore posts here on this list which people send as _attachments_ in pgp/mime. It's one thing to inline sign your message, but quite another to send it as an attachment.