Re: A Duplicates "Mystery"

2004-05-19 10:42:46
At 09:03 AM 5.19.2004 -0700, Professional Software Engineering wrote:
At 11:42 2004-05-19 +0200, Dallman Ross wrote:

I'm with Sean: I suspect there's a c-flag recipe somewhere to blame.

'twas Michael who suggested a possible 'c' flag in this thread.

Should someone find themselves rummaging about in the archives and cut
themselves upon the pointy messageid recipe recently posted here, the
following matters might help them while they seek first aid:

<snipped out all that don't apply below>

I did not intend to give the impression that ALL dups are getting through
my dups recipe -- only that one sender.

I get 300,000+ emails to my account annually, and only that one sender
causes the problem. He is not on any mail list and they all arrive at
exactly the same time. We correspond every day several times.

Further, did you read that I have compared the headers (including ID) --
and displayed a copy of one such dup on a URL. They are exactly the same.
http://www.antennex.com/tmp/dups.txt

I have performed every single one of those things you listed -- some
several times over the span of a year.

Indeed, I have asked the sender to check his email client setup more than
once because I suspected he was placing my address in the To/CC/BCC address
slots 2 or 3 times to create those extra messages -- and may be using a
template.

Also, did you see my follow-up message? I diverted his messages to another
email account to "trap" them and found that I eas receiving TRIPLE copies
not just dups. Thus, the dups recipe must be catching the one copy and then
the other two get passed through.

I am having another round of checking with the sender and have told him of
the triple copies. Although this is not a major problem, because I still
can delete extras as I have done for more than a year, BUT, when he sends
large attachments, this means a 1MB attachment is really 3MB. Now that
becomes a problem because we do send large MS files -- even though he has a
private FTP account, he still sends attachments at times.

Lastly, of course all variables are defined and all recipes are working as
they should -- except this one single sender.... he is a technical author
of mine and is not malicious.

Any other thoughts....??

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,