Re: A Duplicates "Mystery"

2004-05-19 12:43:58
At 08:50 PM 5.19.2004 +0200, Dallman Ross wrote:
On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 12:26:20PM -0500, Jack L. Stone wrote:
I did not intend to give the impression that ALL dups are getting through
my dups recipe -- only that one sender.

Seeing an extract from the verbose logs would of course be helpful.

This is pure wild speculation, but could it be that something
about his mail causes a burp in your MTA, such that a retry
is performed, but the first message actually made it through
too?  (Or the first two messages, since now you say there are
three.)

I doubt this will make a difference, but just for grins, what
happens if you fool with NORESRETRY in your procmail?  (See
"man procmailrc".)  I have never touched that variable, myself,
but . . .

--
dman

Dallman: I think you may have hit on a good possibility, since NO other
emails are being caught by some buggy "c" flag. In fact, the other night
when I was experimenting again with some more ways to catch these, I had
noticed from the verbose logs (watching in realtime) that after the first
pass through the new recipe, his message did indeed start over -- only his.

BTW, I've scanned those verbose logs many times during my efforts, but will
dig out some. I need to find some after I removed the "redirect" I've also
looked for "c" flags in procmailrc and INCLUDERCs and none there that I
have found. Again, it makes no sense that all is well for all other emails,
and various other dups snagged each day (1000/day to my account including
the mystery one).

That's why I posted those two examples of the dup headers to see if anyone
might spot the possibility of a "burp" to cause the MTA (Sendmail) or
Procmail to do this.

I'll look at the NORESRETRY and see....

Also, added the catch recipe at the top of the procmailrc as suggested by
Sean. However, this does the same as the "redirect" recipe I stuck in last
night that sent to another account. Just didn't have it right at the top
before the dups recipe.

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator