Re: ideas on splitting mail saved by Outlook to IMAP folder

2006-05-28 20:11:15
On 28 May 2006, at 16:56 , Gary Funck wrote:
1. Is the initial message RFC compliant?

Well, you're dealing with an mbox file, and those are not well-
regulated.  As far as I knowm, there is no rfc for mbox format
specifications, for example.

In general a mbox file will always have a blank like before the From_
unless it is the first line of the file.  However, as you've
discovered, this is not a hard an fast rule.

There is the qmail man page for mbox, which details qmail's version
of mbox.  If there's an 'official' mbox format specification, this is
likely as close to it as you are likely to find.

It begins:
           A message encoded in mbox format begins with a From_ line,
           continues with a series of non-From_ lines, and ends with a
           blank line.  A From_ line means any line that begins with
           the characters F, r, o, m, space:

I would say that is the expectation of most people in dealing with
mbox. This is the mbox that procmail expects, postfix creates,
sendmail creates, mutt or pine or elm reads, and even Eudora and
Mozilla/Netscape use.   Microshaft, of course, does things their own
way.

--
The other cats just think he's a tosser. --Neil Gaiman