RE: ideas on splitting mail saved by Outlook to IMAP folder

2006-05-29 09:51:49
Dallman Ross wrote:
Have you read "man formail"?

Well, paraphrasing Paul Simon: We read what we want to read
and disregard the rest.

Pay particular attention to the
following formail options and decide which of them you need to
solve your problem:

   -b, -Y, -d, -e

Excerpted from the fine man page:

[...]
       -e   Do  not  require  empty  lines to be preceding the
header of a new
            message (i.e.,  the messages could start on every line).

Doing some experimentation, it turns out that '-e' appears to
be the magic switch that I'm looking for.  Thanks.

Rolling a few replies into one ... I agree with Google Kreme
and Gerald Livingston that it is dovecot that is dropping the
ball here and failing to produce a well-formed mbox.
As one of the participants on a Debian admin page said:
"the dovecot mailing list has two types of users, happy users,
and mbox users".  I may take this issue up with the
Dovecot folks and see what they can offer.

Also thanks, G. W. Haywood for the conversion script, and
Ruud for the Perl lesson (hadn't seen that "s///, s/// for $line;"
idiom before).