Re: recipe suddenly failing

2008-08-17 22:57:35
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008, Ruud H.G. van Tol wrote:

Robert Holtzman schreef:
Running procmail v3.22 2001/09/10 on ubuntu 8.04. The following
recipe has been unchanged and working well since I ran RedHat 7.3
(yeah, *that* long) until yesterday.

               :0 c
               /home/holtzm/mail/backup

               :0 ic
               | cd /home/holtzm/mail && rm -f dummy `ls -t msg.* |
sed -e

As of now it no longer delivers any copies to my backup file, even
tho I have received 600+ emails in the last day or two. As an
experiment I tried

               :0 c:
               /home/holtzm/mail/backup

which didn't work either. What completely snows me is why after
working all these years, would it suddenly give up the ghost.

Any help, pointers, suggestions appreciated.

Show us a verbose log.

With logging turned on and vergose set to yes:

[holtzm(_at_)localhost]~$ less Procmail/pmlog | grep backup
[holtzm(_at_)localhost]~$

- do you have a file called mail?

A directory, $HOME/mail

- has your username changed?

no

(use $HOME in stead of /home/holtzm, and
set MAILDIR to $HOME/mail)

Reason? MAILDIR=/var/spool/mail/holtzm has been working for years. I'll consider it if you can supply a reason.

 SHELL   = /usr/bin
 VERBOSE = on
 MAILDIR = "$HOME/mail"
 LOG     = "$_.log"

 :0 c
 backup

 :0 ic
 | cd $MAILDIR && rm -f dummy `ls -t msg.* |sed -e

That last line is *missing a backquote*.

I screwed up when I pasted the recipe into my message. The recipe is:

:0 c
/home/holtzm/mail/backup

:0 ic
| cd /home/holtzm/mail && rm -f dummy `ls -t msg.* | sed -e 1,32d`

I this about a personal .procmailrc?

yes

Is the code you showed really all
that is in there?

That's all in the Procmail/backup.rc file.
Now for the *really weird part. Everything above the separator was written this afternoon. I just (10:30 P.M.) downloaded 46 emails. ONE showed up in backup! In ~10 yrs of screwing around with Linux I have never run into this kind of behavior. If anyone can throw me a lifeline I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks.

--
Bob Holtzman
 check the price of the beer"