RE: DNS RRtypes: changing PI

2003-10-21 07:59:30
And underscore at least has the benefit of consistency with SRV
records.

Was it not determined that to comply with the hostname rules, the
hostname had to contain only letters, numbers, and/or dashes?  Maybe I
missed something in the discussion, or maybe your referring to a
different set of hostname rules.  If so, which ones are you referring
to?  I was speaking in context to the previous discussion, and in that
context, I thought -smtp-client was determined to be valid as it is only
comprised of letters and dashes.

Hostnames cannot start with a dash nor contain underscores. However,
domain labels -can-, at least in practice, and are often used for
special-purpose tags:

   _kerberos.domain IN TXT "REALM"

for locating the kerberos realm for a domain

   _service._proto.domain IN SRV x x x

for locating services on a domain -- a concrete example for those not
familiar:

   _http._tcp.domain.org IN SRV 10 80 web-server-machine.domain.org

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.txt
http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname(_at_)½§Åv¼ð¦¾Øß´ëù1Ií-»Fqx(_dot_)com