Re: DNS RRtypes: changing PI

2003-10-21 08:25:35
Aredridel wrote:

and i'm pretty sure we need underscores so we avoid any possibility of
collision.

so, top-level txt.
        How sure is "pretty sure"?  Has anyone tried to confirm
incompatibility with any specific version of any specific softwares.

        And as for Windows nameservers... I've heard rumors that
Windows makes extensive use of SRV records for many of the services it
provides, and all SRV RRs have underscores in them.  I'm not sure
which versions of Windows these rumors relate to, as I haven't used
Windows in years, and haven't been motivated to check.

Actually: Active Directory. See for example:

http://wss.yale.edu/win2k/ad-and-ddns.html

Please note that, what MS is doing with DDNS and with SRV records is a nice example of how to lock in people to your software. Adopting a relatively 'new' extension to DNS (dynamic DNS) Microsoft made sure many organizations would have to switch to their DNS service to have Active Directory working :-(

Aside from that, a quick search with google for 'BIND', 'domainname' and 'underscore' tells you at least not all BIND versions will like underscores in domainnames. On other versions you can switch support for underscores 'on' and 'off'. Assuming that nearly all DNS implementations on the Internet do support underscores is an overly simpliflied view on the reality of the Internet.

I think the Internet working group which worked on internationalization of domain names got the same problem, how to support domainnames in other charsets without breaking old implementations.

IMHO, to have SPF a maximum chance of getting succesful it should make sure to support the existing Internet installed base of DNS servers and SMTP server implementations and not break things.

/rolf

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.txt