Re: DNS RRtypes: changing PI

2003-10-22 03:57:10
I disagree; it is the responsibility of the party forwarding the message
only to do so in ways which respect the wishes of the originator.

That's a major change to the way e-mail works.  The originator is in
most cases unaware that they are sending to a forwarding account,
since the forwarding account is typically set up by the receiver, not
the originator.  Since the forwarded has no relationship with the
originator, it's impossible in the general case for the forwarder to
know what the wishes of the originator are.

originator indicates (by not including the forwarder as an allowed sender
in their SPF records), then the forwarder should not be sending messages
claiming that origin.

Without getting into the ins and outs of what 2821 and 2822 say, the
fact is that existing forwarders behave in a particular way; namely
they preserve the envelope.  I don't think it's reasonble for SPF to
declare that all existing forwarders are broken.  SPF has to play nice
in a world where not everyone has adopted it yet.

 Publishing SPF records mustn't
carry with it a responsibility not to send mail to mail forwarding
accounts, since that's clearly unworkable (and will act as a
disincentive to publish the records).

It can't; really there is no responsibility attached to publishing SPF
records. All you are doing is providing information which receivers may
or may not choose to use.

Ok, let me put it another way.  I want to be absolutely clear what
this information means before I publish it.  I also want it to be
absolutely clear to everyone considering using it what this
information means before they use it.

        -roy

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.txt