Re: DNS RRtypes: changing PI

2003-10-20 17:30:04
Also, we should be careful to document that SPF breaks the resent
functionality documented in the SMTP RFC (2822) section 3.6.6.

Hmm, it only breaks scope header-from, and that can easily be fixed by
appropriately defining the header-from scope.

In a similar vein, scope header-from should use sender in preference
to from when it exists.

I'd like to propose the following as the definition of scope
header-from:

Locate the first consecutive sequence of Resent-* headers in the
message that contains at least one of a Resent-Sender or Resent-From
header.  If this sequence contains a Resent-Sender header, its value
is taken to be the header-from, otherwise the value of the Resent-From
header is taken to be the value of header-from.

If no such sequence of Resent-* headers exists, then the Sender header
is taken to be the header-from.  If no Sender header exists, then the
From header is taken to be the header-from.

Incidentally, to be best of my knowledge, Errors-to: is a non-standard
header that is not widely used.  (It's certainly not defined in
RFC 822 or 2822.) I'd suggest dropping the errors-to scope from the
spec.

        -roy

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.txt