Re: DNS RRtypes: changing PI

2003-10-20 23:17:44
On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 09:37:48PM -0700, Justin Mason wrote:
| Actually, I agree -- I don't really care what the "spf-config"
| string is, but I agree that having a TXT record on the domain
| itself is not a good idea.

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 12:47:14AM -0400, Meng Weng Wong wrote:
i'm pretty sure some nameservers will barf if you do an underscore.

i'm thinking of old old bind and i'm thinking of windows nameservers.

and i'm pretty sure we need underscores so we avoid any possibility of
collision.

so, top-level txt.

        I dislike top level TXT records, too.

        How sure is "pretty sure"?  Has anyone tried to confirm
incompatibility with any specific version of any specific softwares.

        And as for Windows nameservers... I've heard rumors that
Windows makes extensive use of SRV records for many of the services it
provides, and all SRV RRs have underscores in them.  I'm not sure
which versions of Windows these rumors relate to, as I haven't used
Windows in years, and haven't been motivated to check.

        Izzy