Re: Maybe simple question

2003-12-14 14:08:14
On Friday 12 December 2003 04:29 pm, Ned Harvey wrote:

I'm backing up a bit.  This is the oldest mail I have.

Ok, so I understood it correctly from the start then.  Under SPF, the
receiver's mailserver has to know the IP address that the message came from.
But it doesn't.  It only knows the last relay that hands the message over.

No you haven't, You have it totally wrong.  You really need to read the SPF
and SMTP docs again.

"It only knows the last relay that hands the message over."

and that is what SPF is checking.

Email is almost never a direct operation, Wechsler.  Look at your own
messages.  The ones you send to this list go through 5 relays before
arriving.

Because it is a mailing list.  It is obvious and expected.

SPF blows away the entire idea of SMTP relaying.  It is not compatible with
smtp.

That's an interesting statement, with absolutely no facts or statements to
back it up.

It is totally compatible with SMTP.  As you are only checking against the
sending MTA there is absolutely no problem at all.

I think you are trolling.

Well you didn't trim these when you replied, so I'll look at this as well.

Wechsler <wechsler(_at_)phase(_dot_)org> wrote :

Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

Ok, so if I'm the owner of a mailserver and I want to use spf, I have to
manually create a list of every IP address of every mailserver that I
expect
to receive email from.

Erm no, absolutely not. Almost completely backwards, I'm afraid.

Which just shows you have barely read, let alone understood SPF.  I just
joined Thursday 09:31:43 am (11th December 2003) and read enough to get a
good grasp of it.

Martin
--
Excellent time to become a missing person.