Re: RE: Forwarders

2004-01-12 08:01:53
Hi,

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 15:34, Julian Mehnle wrote:
[...]
It's by far easier (and quicker) for a spammer to change his own mail
server's IP
address (not even talking about IPv6 addresses) than to register a new
domain.  SPF makes domain-based blacklisting a possibility.

Besides, SPF prevents sender address domain forgery, so when a
spammer uses a 3rd party mail server (open relays, cracked account,
whatever), he'd have to use that server's domain name as the return
path for his mails, which makes it easier for people to report him.

this is perfectly fine with me. Currently, spammers use the easiest way
they have; with spf in effect, they will continue to do so. To the best
of my knowledge, advertisements are expensive by every medium but email.

Now make the spammers having to buy a couple of thousand domains to
continue their ugly job: It will not deter them, since this way of
advertisement will still be much cheaper than any other advertisement
channel. It will perhaps make them move their businesses into remote
locations - but would it be fair to virtually exclude third-world
countries from email simply because domains can be bought cheaply? This
is what I would expect to happen if the "block whole domains" rule
you've cited would be applied ...

In addition, blacklisting will continue to hit perfectly friendly
people. Most of the IPs my provider offers for DSL subscribers are
blacklisted. Most probably, but a few of the provider's customers really
are spammers. I don't consider it acceptable to punish lots of nice guys
(and gals) just to hit the bad guys, too.

IMHO, we have little choice but to accept some degree of spam. Along
similar lines, we do accept traffic jams and don't forbid cars
irrespective of the fact that without them, no jams would occur.

Best wishes and regards,

Ernst