Re: RE: Forwarders

2004-01-12 10:42:47
At 07:01 AM 1/12/2004, Dr. Ernst Molitor wrote:
IMHO, we have little choice but to accept some degree of spam. Along
similar lines, we do accept traffic jams and don't forbid cars
irrespective of the fact that without them, no jams would occur.

But to follow this analogy, we don't allow people to drive stolen cars or to drive with missing or fake license plates. *That's* what SPF is about: identifying the cars pretending to be someone else so that they can be kept off the road.

The key thing to remember is that SPF is about blocking *forgeries*, not blocking *spam*. Spammers like using forged addresses for a lot of reasons. SPF takes away one of their tools.

Maybe you don't realize it, but a huge amount of spam is sent with forged addresses, and the impact of that falls squarely on the owner of the domain being forged. When they were actually relaying through servers, you could control it directly by closing the relay, requiring authentication, etc. When they send mail from fakeuser(_at_)speed(_dot_)net, suddenly speed.net's mail servers get inundated with bounce notices sent to accounts that don't exist. Seriously - we get more bounce messages to nonexistent users than we get spam and non-spam combined. If I watch the mail log, they just scroll by continuously. We get several complaints a week from people who got spam claiming to be somebody(_at_)speed(_dot_)net(_dot_) With current SMTP, there's nothing we can do to stop it. SPF is the only solution *right now* that will cut into this without a complete overhaul of email.

SPF, if widely used, will help the victims of forgeries immensely. Throw in things like widespread identify-theft through spoofing ("PayPal needs your SSN and credit card numbers now!"), and I'd say it's worth the inconvenience of requiring people to use their provider's mail servers.

Kelson Vibber