Re: Unsolicited bulk email discarded.

2004-01-13 10:15:25
See, this is the real problem with spam: the fallout.

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 06:02:51PM +0100, Root wrote:
| Your message:
|
|      Re: [spf-discuss] how blacklisting will work in the future
|
| has been identified as unsolicited bulk email (SPAM) and discarded.
|
| Thank you,
|
| SPAM Counter Measures

Some people think of The Spam Problem as "ohmigawd, all this STUFF gets
into my INBOX and i have to just DELETE it.  make it STOP."

I more or less thought that way until this time last year.  I got a
phone call from a dear friend saying, "so why didn't you come to our
housewarming?"  I looked in my spambox and found the invite.  It was two
weeks late.  That's when spam became real for me.

Also, to put on my ISP hat for a moment, spam sucks because it means
that at a 9-to-1 spam-ham ratio, we need ten machines to do the work of
one.  How many MTAs does it take to change a light bulb?  Ten: one to
change the lightbulb and nine to delete all the spam!

Users don't see bandwidth and CPU and power as a cost, but believe me, a
100 mbps connection costs significantly more than a 10mbps connection,
and the costs are being passed on to them.  That's why I like SPF; it
lets me drop the connection before DATA.

Sure, it's a fun intellectual exercise to build a gizmo that
discriminates arbitrary strings as good vs bad, but at the end of the
day I think everyone would prefer something simpler that just worked.
Whenever the gizmos fail us they wail "we need better data!"  Well,
let's tweak the infrastructure and give it to them.

Not that I think SPF is the FUSSP, but it wouldn't have FP'ed my
friend's invite, and I would've made it to that housewarming.  Still
sore about that.