Re: how blacklisting will work in the future

2004-01-13 10:01:25

On 13 Jan 2004 Meng Weng Wong <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
wrote:

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 12:58:50PM +0100, Dr. Ernst Molitor wrote:

| IMHO, however, large ISPs could use the denial of communication with
| minor sites - on the grounds of "no reputation available" - as a means
| to enlarge their user base. Don't you think this could happen? Wouldn't
| that be a dire consequence of your scheme?

If it leads to user complaints, I don't expect ISPs will do it.  Can you
give me a scenario for how a large ISP will try to enlarge its user base
by denying incoming mail from "no reputation available" domains?

Well AOL/RR has already done something like this by blocking on IP
blocks.  Some of these connections could in fact be a small supplier
using an IP address in the "wrong" block and it does not seem that
complaints from  the users changed anything.

I would like to see large ISPs offer a per-user configuration framework
so these decisions can be overridden at each user's discretion.

I would as well but I do not see this happening.  It takes more work to
provide as per user optin/optout scheme but at least Demon UK seems to be
offering something like this with their anti-spam system.

Thomas R. Stephenson, CPL          Phone: (408) 742-3308
Lockheed Martin Technical Operations
MILSTAR Logistics Engineering O/M5-41  B/158
P.O. Box 61687 Sunnyvale, CA 94088-1687

Member Pegasus Mail Support Team

Thought for the day:
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a tagline out of my hat!