Re: how blacklisting will work in the future

2004-01-12 14:39:43
On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 10:14:46PM +0100, Dr. Ernst Molitor wrote:

| thank you very much for your kind and detailed response to my message.
|
| Your description of "reputation gaining" by RHSBL is fine for spamming
| domains, and it is fine for large ISPs. What about small sites?
|
| Chances are that any given RHSBL will not have seen any other requests
| regarding the given domain when the recipient host returns to the RHSBL
| after a delay caused by his 4xx response to the sender-to-be on the
| first try.
|
| With small domains, reputation information will not build up easily on
| any given RHSBL, will it?

I can't predict what will happen with much accuracy, but if you're
getting a message from a domain that your reputation provider doesn't
know anything about, you can still always run SpamAssassin after the
greylisting delay.  Once you've accepted the message locally and
manually reviewed it, you can add the information to your local
reputation scheme --- in other words, a whitelist or blacklist.

I would like to see a distributed reputation system where many ISPs
share data.