Re: how blacklisting will work in the future

2004-01-12 10:35:53
In <20040112153739(_dot_)GV18595(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com> Meng Weng
Wong <mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com> writes:

- an hour later, the spammer tries to connect again.  you check back with the
RHSBL.
- the RHSBL says:
  - The following statistics count SPF-validated transactions only.
  - 32434offerz.com has been known to me for X hours.
  - 32434offerz.com has reportedly sent a total of N messages.
  - 32434offerz.com has been reported by M spamtraps.
  - 32434offerz.com has been reported by H humans as a spammer.

I suspect that such details will not be made available by any major
blacklist, especially not so easily available.

SpamCop recently removed such details from their *web pages* due to
spammers using it to figure out which email addresses are spam traps
and to stop spamming when they are close to being listed.

Publishing order-of-magnitude numbers (log based) would certainly
help reduce the abuse issue, but it is still rapidly changing
information which will cache poorly.

-wayne