Re: SPF - ISP's vs Corporate

2004-01-22 12:55:57
On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 12:05:44PM -0500, Marc Alaia asserted:

1) SPF checking should NOT be done at SMTP time.  It is less intrusive to
the entire installed base of email

(How?)
Because I can buy server-side or even client-side software to process spam
in my Exchange/Outlook environment.  And I don't see Microsoft modifying
their Internet Mail Connector to include SPF at SMTP time.  Not in the next
10 years anyway.

So in your instance, since you cannot impliment spf the way that many others
prefer, you would do it your own way.  Ok, go ahead.  I haven't seen anyone
say that you must do it one way or the other.  spf just adds another method of
voluntary filtering.  You can add the record to your dns and never, ever do
checks of your own.  This is why I like the idea so much.

For me, spf fits best at smtp time.  It is either delivered, or the sender
gets immediate notification of the failure along with a reason.  No mail is
lost unless the sender is bogus to begin with.  But you do not have to
conform to my idea of right.

I think that all code should match my favorite standard, but its very likely
that the compiler really doesn't care.  Again, you are free to do it your way.

Again, all that I'm saying is to keep the decision regarding when to process
SPF out of the specification.  I have reviewed the web site and admittedly,
I can't find anything that says the SPF check must be done at SMTP time, but
the prevailing sentiment on this list is decidedly so....

I don't understand your fear.  rfc is never law.  You are free to ignore
every rfc ever published.  The internet is a cooperative society.  Pick your
method, all the while singing 'My Way'.

--

Bob Greene
Public key available at