Re: Re: "extreme SPF" scenario for ISPs

2004-02-03 04:13:01
On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 12:01:08PM +0100, Julian Mehnle wrote:

It's time that the US government force all ISP to block any of their
customers from using port 25 unless they request it for their own mail
server. To get that port 25 access they would have to agree that the
ISP could test their server any time they want. [...]

It would only help in any big way if we invaded Korea.

I'm a bit reluctant to suggest more government regulation of the
Internet; government regulation of communications rarely strikes me as
a good idea. I think if you were going to start mandating port
blocking, though, port 137 would be a good places to start.

NO, to both of you!  Forget that port blocking through legislation idea
immediately.  Where would it end?  Port 26000 (Quake)?  Port 443 (HTTPS)?
Imagine every lobbyist group pressing the governments to mandate blocking
their own favorite unfavorite port.  Blocking ports through legislation is a
wonderful means of censorship.  Only over my dead body.

Indeed.  What would, IMHO, help is being able to hold the ISP responsible.

Scenario:

1) find an open relay / virus outlet
2) report to ISP
3) wait more than 40 days
4) open relay is still there / virus is still sent

(and of course, this on a large scale; such as a2000.nl)

I think this is *wrong*.  This is not a responsible party, this is a
clear sign the ISP does not care.

They "earn" money wasting _my_ time and bandwidth.  If OTOH this kind
of behaviour would _cost_ them money, boy, how many virusses and open
relays would remain?

Alex
--
begin  sig