will resistant MTAs be fronted with commercial antispam gateways?

2004-02-10 13:38:49
Exchange is not known for its antispam capabilities, so practical people
just put a Unix MTA in front of it.

We've been trying to convince Unix MTA authors to incorporate SPF
support.  This effort has met with limited success.  This worries me
because down that road is a future where practical people just put a
commercial antispam email gateway in front of their Unix MTAs.

If a product doesn't give the market what the market wants, it will be
superseded by a product that does.

I am fond of Unix MTAs and I would be saddened to see them fall behind.
People who are used to running their MTAs for free will balk at the cost
of a custom antispam box.

The fact remains that to date, antispam vendors have been much, much
more receptive to SPF than the MTA community.  Maybe an RFC status on
the SPF draft will help change their minds.  I hope it does.  If it
doesn't, the patches will always be downloadable, and we can always
appeal to the package maintainers or just release packages of our own.

I don't think SPF is big enough to trigger a disruptive wave but if MTAs
don't stay open to new ideas one day the wave will come.

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/spf-draft-20040209.txt