RE: what license do you want to see?

2004-05-29 07:54:27
On Sat, 2004-05-29 at 09:36, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

[snip]

For the Web specs and code we rejected the GPL and made both public
domain. Getting Microsoft and IBM to build the Web into their products
was a big priority. That could not have happened if the original
reference code had been encumbered.

  Since when are talking about reference code, here?  This is about a
*patent* license and making it GPL compatible (as well as BSD,
proprietary or whatever) is, in fact, important.
  And besides, having reference code that is GPLed would not prevent a
clean room implementation written from the spec.  Public domain or BSD
simply makes it easier because you can actually use all or parts of that
code to build your own and license it how you want.
  I care not, as I doubt anyone on this list does, how Microsoft or
anyone else chooses to license its *code*.  What matters is that any
patents are licensed in such a way as to make it GPL, BSD, proprietary
license.
--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator