RE: what license do you want to see?

2004-05-29 10:03:21

For the Web specs and code we rejected the GPL and made both public
domain. Getting Microsoft and IBM to build the Web into
their products
was a big priority. That could not have happened if the original
reference code had been encumbered.

  Since when are talking about reference code, here?  This is about a
*patent* license and making it GPL compatible (as well as BSD,
proprietary or whatever) is, in fact, important.

Exactly, but the point I am making is that a license that is
GPL compatible could fall well short of what we need.

It must be possible to distribute code under GPL, BSD or closed
proprietary licenses. A GPL grant would only allow one of those.

  I care not, as I doubt anyone on this list does, how Microsoft or
anyone else chooses to license its *code*.  What matters is that any
patents are licensed in such a way as to make it GPL, BSD, proprietary
license.

Exactly.