RE: was XML Poll

2004-05-30 14:47:09
It will be more useful to make strategic decisions based on technical
and political considerations than run a popularity poll. These strategic
decisions should be based on what SPF is trying to achieve and how that
might best be accomplished.

Ian Peter
Senior Partner
Ian Peter and Associates Pty Ltd
P.O. Box 10670 Adelaide St
Brisbane 4000 Australia
Tel (617) 3870 1181
Mobile (614) 1966 7772

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of dave
wanta
Sent: Monday, 31 May 2004 7:36 AM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] was XML Poll

Like I said..

The only valid argument is that XML adds bloat.

But i think its advantages out-weigh its disadvantages, which
is why I said to keep it.  When SMTP was originally written,
no one in their wildest dreams would have thought it would
have become what it is/does today.

Why possibly repeat the same mistakes? Using xml we can
express/store *any
data* in Xml.  Look at the horrendous beast IMAP has become,
with its nested envelopes and body structures. Xml would have
been 10x easier.

I'm also not saying *not using Xml* is bad. I just have a bad
feeling we would be locking ourselves into something,  and 5
- 10 years from now we have to have all these exceptions when
parsing data, because of a new format or something that needs
to get added to the spec.

Cheers!
Dave
PS: I'm not a debater, I just want a solution that works. But
I'll attempt to post to reply to some of your comments below.

1. It's bullet proof tested
Yeah. So is Windows.
Windows is an OS, Xml is a file format. I have yet to see
some data that can't be stored in some type of Xml document.
So yes, it is bulletproof. I'm not talking about parsers, I'm
not talking about Software. I'm talking about storing data.

Just like HTML, right?
Yes, exactly. You can pull it up in your favorite text editor
and read it. I didn't say anything about it being pretty.

Why are you comparing XML to mime?
Because Xml and Mime are both text. DNS is typically binary
(except for the TXT records we are discussing). So I just
picked Mime. Both store data in a textual format.

(Paraphrasing: where you talked about downloading all this XML for
DoS).
Lists will probably be maintained of those offending domains,
so you will know who they are.

KEEP IT SIMPLE.
Xml as simple. It's so simple, it is bloated. That's it's
inherent problem.