Re: Re: AOL rejecting hosts with no rDNS?

2004-06-27 13:34:20
On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 09:08:09PM -0400,
 Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel(_at_)merl(_dot_)com> wrote
 a message of 38 lines which said:

A valid PTR is not necessarily a *matching* PTR record: it simply
provides an address to contact where someone is responsible for that
IP address.

True, though I usually reject any PTR that doesn't forward-resolve to the same IP. I can't tell the difference by machine between someone who is lazy or ignorant (and can't type the same name into the forward file) and someone who is malicious (and is making up fake PTR records in order to deflect blame onto someone else.

--Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer(_at_)nic(_dot_)fr> wrote:
The IP address typically provides a much better address to contact,
thanks to the RIR whois service. And it is less prone to
spoofing. Using PTR for authentication, even weak authentication, is a
very bad idea which has been beaten to death many times many years
ago. It is strange that some people keep reinventing it.

I really think ALL IP addresses in active use should have proper hostnames and proper PTR records to match. The in-addr.arpa is delegated to you or your ISP when you get the block. Not to use it or maintain it means the ISP is lazy or ignorant.

PTR records are part of the INTERNET infrastructure. As far as I'm concerned, any host without PTR and matching A record is not really on the INTERNET. The poor user on the other end of that IP is buying something other than INTERNET service from his so-called Internet Service Provider. I see no reason I should provide mail service to anyone on that IP.

I really don't think IP-based WHOIS is an acceptable vehicle for most users. People in the industry like you and me should be able to use IP-based WHOIS to reach someone as a last resort. People who just want to reach someone to complain should be able to use the name to find the responsible person. Just because IP-based whois works is no reason to justify an ISP who is too lazy to put their name on their own PTR records.