Re: AOL rejecting hosts with no rDNS?

2004-06-28 10:51:01
On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 01:34:20PM -0700,
 Greg Connor <gconnor(_at_)nekodojo(_dot_)org> wrote
 a message of 53 lines which said:

I really think ALL IP addresses in active use should have proper
hostnames and proper PTR records to match.

Sure. And all pedestrians should cross the street in the zebra
crossing, but you do not drive into those who don't.

 The in-addr.arpa is delegated to you or your ISP when you get the
block.  Not to use it or maintain it means the ISP is lazy or
ignorant.

Or has no choice. Try getting an in-addr.arpa delegation when you are
a small African or Asian provider. Not everybody works in California.

I really don't think IP-based WHOIS is an acceptable vehicle for
most users.  People in the industry like you and me should be able
to use IP-based WHOIS to reach someone as a last resort.

I use it first, because it is typically much more reliable than a name
in ".junk", I mean ".com".