Re[2]: Citibank

2004-07-14 23:05:34
Hi Meng,

Yikes - sorry - I apologize - I hit "reply" before reading the next
bit (in a bad mood after reading on some news site recently someone
saying SPF causes no false positives...)

There are still some incorrect statements that follow, and there
needs to be a distinction made between "false positives" (emails
hitting recipient spam folders without senders knowledge) and
"SPF bounces" (emails being bounced/returned-to-sender due to properly
applies SPF rules.  The latter, although irritating, is better -
because the sender knows the email didn't go through, and knows how to
correct the problem - and this is exactly what SPF was built for, was
it not?

I disagree that the "middle ground" should be ~all - this is what the
baysian filters classify as spam immediately.  At least "-all" tells
the sender what screwed up, and where.

A Bayesian filter chooses to ignore that "MUST".
Who is at fault, the SPF specification, or the Bayesian filters?

We are. Bayesian was here first, 4% of the world use "Netscape", so us
recommending ~all and choosing to ignore the fact that those filters
auto-spam-classify SPF headers means we're arrogantly throwing the
legit emails of SPF users into the trash cans of 4% of their
recipients (certainly ones using non compliant forwarding, maybe
others too depending on how their filter learned), without telling the
senders.

There's other ways to fix this - maybe "MUST IGNORE" could easily be
accomplished by not shoving the headers in at all, until such time as
the bayesian folks update their filters and a reasonable majority of
their customers apply the update?

If there's not already a link on the "why did it fail" spf site
telling people using ".forward" or other forwarders how to comply, one
should be set up.  I can probably modify my SPF tester so that it can
accept a "forwarded bounce", parse it, and warn bounced recipients
that they need to fix their forwarding service too, if that's helpful
for senders.

Kind Regards,
Chris Drake