RE: My last IETF Post

2004-07-16 12:07:44
Jonathan Gardner wrote:

 [edit]

"I think you guys are pushing a little too hard. Let
Microsoft's lawyers think about it for a while, and let the
business people think about it some more."

True, but I did burst out laughing when I read Chuck's post.

"Stalling tactics work against them because the technology
can't be adopted without their compliance."

I presume you mean 'our compliance.'

"I am pretty sure they are going to release the patent to
the public domain, or remove their proposal. All they
really want is to be dubbed "the eternal solver of spam and
all internet ills". They don't need even more bad PR from
the internet."

I believe your analysis of Microsoft wanting to pick up the
PR is fairly stated.

"If they decide to push back on the patent issues, watch
MARID drop their algorithm quicker than spit. If MARID
drops it, they are irrelevant.

Or, even if MARID adopts a patent-encumbered technology,
watch MARID be dropped quicker that spit. IETF can be
rendered irrelevant quite easily.

The internet community does not like patents, and that
isn't changing any time soon."

Agreed.

"Even though tin-foil hats should be donned, in the worst
case scenario we still win. Remember we are negotiating
from a position of power - 100,000 domains and counting.
Microsoft is looking for our approval, looking for a way to
claim that 100,000 as their own. That's all.

So keep the arguments logical and the posts polite. They
can see what you really mean when you use corporate double
talk."

Yes ...

But on another point something tells me the CAV proposal has
more political strength then people realize.

Remember the old saying "keep your friends close and your
enemies even closer."

Having said this, I am not suggesting the people behind CAV
are the enemy. Au contraire.

If my understanding is correct, the policy records
published for SPF can be used in the authentication process
with CAV.

It would be of value to keep this in mind as this whole
exercise comes down to the short strokes.

John Glube
Toronto, Canada

The FTC Calls For One Standard For Sender Authentication
http://www.learnsteps4profit.com/dne.html

---