RE: DNS Wildcards Myth #1

2004-08-06 06:38:01
You are correct, the underscore "_" is NOT a valid domain character.  It can be
used as a host name
by dns servers that support it, but I don't recommend it, I have seen it break
things.

Terry Fielder
Manager Software Development and Deployment
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
terry(_at_)greatgulfhomes(_dot_)com
Fax: (416) 441-9085

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com]On Behalf Of Lou
Katz
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2004 7:23 PM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] DNS Wildcards Myth #1

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 04:50:42PM -0500, wayne wrote:
In <586(_at_)rama(_dot_)pamho(_dot_)net> "Roger Moser"
<Roger(_dot_)Moser(_at_)rama(_dot_)pamho(_dot_)net> writes:

Wayne wrote:

Really, DNS wildcards are almost completely useless.

And, ironically, the only reason not to have to SPF
record at the "_spf"
subdomain was to make wildcards possible.

Actually, the decision to move the records out of the _spf subdomain
was because too many DNS hosting companies did not support the
underscore.  Underscores are, after all, invalid for host names but
not domain names.  The subtle distinction between the too is lost on

??? I thought it was the other way around - that only A-Z,0-9
and '-' were valid
for DOMAINS (or haven't I had enough caffiene?) but other
chars could be
used for hosts.

too many people, even those that know quite a bit about DNS.

-wayne

http://www.InboxEvent.com/?s=d --- Inbox Event Nov 17-19 in
Atlanta features SPF and Sender ID.
To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily
deactivate your subscription,

-=[L]=-