Re: DNS Wildcards Myth #1

2004-08-06 07:00:53
On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 09:52:04AM -0400,
 terry(_at_)ashtonwoodshomes(_dot_)com <terry(_at_)ashtonwoodshomes(_dot_)com>
wrote
 a message of 49 lines which said:

As I just checked numerous Domain name registrars, including
NetworkSolutions, and non accept _ as a domain name character.

Probably because such a domain would be useless: no host names in it
would be legal. (We do not accept them in ".fr" either.)

But third-level domains with an underscore are much more common, see
_tcp.microsoft.com (Active Directory uses _tcp things).