Re: Good Domain List one step closer to reality (actually two steps)

2004-08-16 10:51:00
From: "Stuart D. Gathman" <stuart(_at_)bmsi(_dot_)com>

Verisign FUD notwithstanding, they do not have monopoly on SSL
certificates.

We just include a (hidden) link to our very own CA cert on our web site.
Yeah,
I know.  Kind of defeats the whole purpose of the CA system.  However,
customers that know us personally are willing to do so, and a surprising
number
of strangers as well.

For a larger audience, we would buy a certificate from just about anyone
except Verisign.  Their prices seem to be most useful as a benchmark of
the
most that anyone would every pay for a cert.

You miss the point Stuart - the facility should be free - otherwise you hurt
the individual user and small businesses.  There should be absolutely no
charge at all - anything else immediately alienates the facility from the
vast majority of small users  -- like me  :-)

Slainte,

JohnP.
johnp(_at_)idimo(_dot_)com
ICQ 313355492