Re: Good Domain List one step closer to reality (actually two steps)

2004-08-16 10:26:34
On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, David Brodbeck wrote:

See, systems like this I have no real problem with.  I'm only concerned when I
hear it suggested, as it was earlier, that we should have to pay Verisign for
the privilage of having our email received.  I'm totally against any
reputation system that involves paying money to some central authority.

Verisign FUD notwithstanding, they do not have monopoly on SSL certificates.

We just include a (hidden) link to our very own CA cert on our web site.  Yeah,
I know.  Kind of defeats the whole purpose of the CA system.  However,
customers that know us personally are willing to do so, and a surprising number
of strangers as well.

For a larger audience, we would buy a certificate from just about anyone
except Verisign.  Their prices seem to be most useful as a benchmark of the
most that anyone would every pay for a cert.