RE: Good Domain List one step closer to reality (actually two steps)

2004-08-16 22:48:33
Hi Everyone,

I want to express concerns about the need to handle reputation
very well, and a strong concern that, until something is in place
and thoroughly communicated to domain holders, we should not rely
on it in a major way. Any scheme that relies on small domain
holders and small systems finding out about it (such as by
reading this list??) and then actually doing something is asking
for serious trouble.

I have been in the position of having a domain blacklisted by
spam filtering software - a very large domain in this country run
by a monopoly telco. The havoc that caused to my business was
quite serious, and indeed I didn't even know until a friend
pointed it out to me. Enough to drive me to use small domain
names that wouldn't get blacklisted by one or two bad users. Now
it's being suggested that my escape path from "spam prevention"
technologies might disadvantage me by a new generation of "spam
prevention" approaches.

I haven't seen serious analysis of the number of small domains
with email systems yet. I suggest we are talking millions. The
combination of whitelists, blacklists, filters and other
technologies widely and unevenly applied will cause a range of
problems with multiplier affects that individually none of these
approaches cause.

Undelivered mail because of filtering and whitelisting and
blacklisting, often poorly applied and in dubious combinations,
could easily be as big a problem as spam. Spam has nuisance value
largely - undelivered mail has loss of business attached. If we
implement badly, we may just be replacing one problem with
another which could be even worse.

I'm not suggesting to throw this approach away. But I am
suggesting that this approach has to be thoroughly worked
through, the risks it raises thoroughly examined and mitigated
against, a communication approach targeted at affected groups
undertaken, and timing issues examined to ensure maximum success.
Good implementation is crucial!

Ian Peter
Senior Partner
Ian Peter and Associates Pty Ltd