RE: Good Domain List one step closer to reality (actually two steps)

2004-08-16 15:17:08
Somebody, possibly Mark C. Langston wrote (possibly on Monday, August 16, 2004
9:42 PM) possibly this message:

I'm confused.  To which reputation system are you referring?
If it's GOSSiP, it doesn't use certificates at all.

I refer to this:
http://spf.pobox.com/aspen.html
Quotes:
"[they] should be happy to sign up with Bonded Sender or something like it"
"Is there a business model?"
"As a clearinghouse, the reputation service should pay its input feeds"
"Money should flow from the consumers of reputation to producers of reputation"

Feel free to correct me if I understand something wrong.
But this is clear that somebody is trying to make a business out of reputation
services.
I can imagine new Big Brother deciding who must be able to send emails and who
nope.

Take a look on proposed list and features of good domains:

Quote: "Making it easy for senders to obtain accreditation lets receivers
assume guilty unless proven innocent"
Okay. I would like to make an apology to person I've called "racist".
But statement above clearly limits my human rights. It takes away presumption
of innocence from me.
Please, tell me - how I will be able to receive accreditation for my
24.odessa.ua domain ?
We are not sending 10000's of emails per week, all communication for me and my
partners limited to our clients or contacting others
persons on behalf of out clients. This is at most 20-30 emails per day.
Do you propose me to pay for SSL certificate? Or pay for BondedSender? Okay.
Let's assume that I will pay. Here is another question - how much?
Take in account - my current Internet cost is 27*12 = 324 USD per year. Also I
live in Ukraine. Average (I'm not telling that mine)
salary here less that 60 USD / month  (not a typo!!, not per hour - but per
month).
So? 10/100/1000/10000 USD?  You picked up 10 USD / year?
Now a question - what prevent spammer from paying 10 USD and then sending
1.000.000 of emails next day after his reputation become
'good'?

Quote: "Good list doesn't need to be updated very often"
If "good" list distributed using P2P and without central server - how the hell
you will able to restrict daily email limits from
example above?
Or my 20 USD will not result me added in "good" list ?

Quote: "How do we build this list: Fortune 2000 companies, Domains registered
prior to 1999"
So. We finally found who will stand behind this. Current monopolies. No new
members will be accepted in club.
To be able send email you need to be born before dot-com bubble!!

Note, there are used pretty cool shapes for good, bad and unknown domains.
Using tiny and almost invisible shape for "unknown" domains hide problem.
IMHO, 60% of domains will be unknown, only 5% will be bad, and at most 35% (if
not less) will be listed as good.
This is clearly stated in text "There will be lots of little domains..." - but
not visually!! Why ?

You were thinking that I'm paranoid? Now you see facts.
Show me that there is something wrong in my statements.
Then prove me that your statements is correct and there is no conspiracy
involved in "Sender-ID + reputation" system.

Even GOSSiP "free" system can start to collect money from all users.
For example a tiny press release from author with title like this
"After 3 years of GOSSiP usage we found that we can not live without your
money.
Give us your money and we will save you from spammers.
We will use your money to cover costs of development and administration.
As well we will finally solve problem with housing for all currently home-less
GOSSiP developers ;-)"

I'm open for discussion,
--
Andriy G. Tereshchenko