Re: Good Domain List one step closer to reality (actually two steps)

2004-08-16 12:22:33
From: "Mark" <admin(_at_)asarian-host(_dot_)net>

jpinkerton wrote:

c) Reputation service owners.
This will looks like a robbery - "Pay us, or your mail will not be
delivered". Once your rating will decrease you will be proposed
to pay a bribe to revert it back to 100%

Well put. It really sounds like racketeering on a global scale.

Wrong entirely. The reputation service is not _owned_ by anyone,
it's open source, you put it on your server and use the service.

Uh-uh; and I guess I will not have to pay anyone those $300 a year then
either, right? The reputation service just "happens" to be in cahoots with
Verisign, who just "happens" to make billions of dollars overnight ($300
times each domain, times each year). Just to "defray" the cost, huh?

I think you're very confused here - there is  _no_  connection between
certification methods and reputation methods.  They both exist as
independent possibilities.  The discussion was about whether to pay
Verisign, or any other commercial certificate vendor, for the dubious
privildge of their services, when they will charge a lot and not be fussy
about who they sell to as long as they get the money and it's not stolen
credit card details.

Bottom line: open source or not, you will be extorted to pay up, each
year.
Like the good mobster paying you a visit each week for "protection",
Verisign will collect, or send one of their goons to reck your business
(read: blacklist you/not whitelist you), until you cough up the dough
again.

No - I won't be paying a bean because I don't believe anyone on the internet
should.  As soon as there is a good, free reputation system working - I'll
be in it :-)  (along with spf and spamassassin as usual)

Frankly, I am appalled at the alarming lack of resistence against these
proposals.

What e-mails have you been reading?  I am  _totally_  against paying for
accreditation.  I happen to think accreditation is a complete red herring
anyway,  as it does  _nothing_  to protect the user from spam - it just
allow spam with a certificate :-/

Slainte,

JohnP.
johnp(_at_)idimo(_dot_)com