Re: Sender ID and Return Path

2004-08-25 06:59:19

On Aug 24, 2004, at 07:11, Meng Weng Wong wrote:
I have a feeling that Sender ID will proceed with an
exclusive focus on the PRA.

If we want to protect the return path, we will have to do it
in the context of a Unified SPF model which embraces and
extends Sender ID.

Several other people have recommended this approach
as having less friction.

Meng & Co.,

I would like to encourage SPFs continued focus upon mail-from protection. Sender-ID will live or die on its own. The one thing I think we should do to change it though is limit the number of DNS redirections/chain of queries. Following a chain of 10 redirections does open the SPF technique up to a denial of service attack. While I am not a security expert, I would recommend that the chain be limited to 3 or 4 queries.

For those of you concerned about Microsoft IPR bleeding over on to the SPF techniques, I think you should read carefully the Microsoft IPR disclosure, I quote from Harry Katz's note:

C. If an Internet-Draft or RFC includes multiple parts and it is not
reasonably apparent which part of such Internet-Draft or RFC is
alleged to be covered by the patent information disclosed in Section
V(A) or V(B), it is helpful if the discloser identifies here the
sections of the Internet-Draft or RFC that are alleged to be so
covered.

Both Sender ID: Authenticating E-mail <draft-ietf-marid-core-03.txt>
and Purported Responsible Address in E-mail Messages
<draft-ietf-marid-pra-00.txt> in combination.

Note that Mr. Katz lists the patent application as covering the two Sender-ID specs "in combination". This means to me that the patent covers the use of both the PRA algorithm and the transmission time IP address checking. SPF does not use PRA. Transmission time IP address checking is extremely well established prior art by the DNSBL operators. The nub of the novel, non-obvious process required to grant a patent is using both techniques together.

In summary, SPF in its current form is needed. Whether SPF needs to be "unified" is a discussion we should undertake on this list.

Best Regards,
Andrew

Andrew W. Donoho
awd(_at_)DDG(_dot_)com, PGP Key ID: 0x81D0F250
+1 (512) 453-6652 (o), +1 (512) 750-7596 (m)