Re: Sender ID and Return Path

2004-08-24 09:42:05
On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 04:19:43PM +0100, Graham Murray wrote:
Meng Weng Wong <mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com> writes:
I have a feeling that Sender ID will proceed with an
exclusive focus on the PRA.

Why? Having been following the Marid list for some while, I have seen
far more posts against PRA than for it. Many have posted that an RFC
2821 check, on either or both MAIL FROM or EHLO, needs to be made. So
it should not proceed with an exclusive focus on PRA.

The fact that there have been far more post against pra than for it,
does not mean a thing. I believe IETF will proceed with Sender-ID and
PRA _and_ the license anyway, despite the number of people that are
really uncomfortable with it.

I've said this before, but I think the whole MARID thing is going
nowhere very fast.

I agree with others that it would be best to start with SPF Classic or
unified SPF, in which I have much more trust and which is not bothered
by scary licensing issues. I'm going to try and voice this opinion on
the mxcomp list once more. I've tried this before, after months of
lurking because I felt uncomfortable to break in an discussion of real
experts, which i'm not. I mean, it's not that I don't know what SMTP etc
is about, and how it is supposed to work. It's just that it didn't feel
apropriate for me to join in.

So far I have only once voiced my concerns about the licensing issue,
since this is something that is really bad, and I think it can't be said
enough.

If anything else fails, there's nothing else left but to ignore
Sender-ID. Unfortunatelly (and I do have to read the mxcomp post more
carefully) the sendmail author already declared he was willing to go
with Sender-ID (probably as a seperate module), and trying to ignore the
multi-million-dollar PR machine microsoft will use (if they indeed
intend to promote Sender-ID, instead of trying to make it fail).

Well, time will tell..

Koen

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.