Re: Patent license

2004-08-24 08:12:42
From: "william(at)elan.net" <william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net>

The IPR declaration Microsoft made is also available at:
 http://www.imc.org/ietf-mxcomp/mail-archive/msg03495.html
There they claim patent rights on the combination of
 draft-ietf-marid-core-03.txt and draft-ietf-marid-pra-00.txt
together and it is not clear if Microsoft is going to claim IPR on any of
the documents along and which ones. I asked that question on mxcomp but
I do not expect Harry to answer it anytime soon... If any of you are more
familiar with IETF IPR requirements and policies, I would appreciate
looking as to whether we can get Microsoft on this issue and force them
to claim IPR on appropriate document(s) separately, which I suspect will
clear the IPR claims from being made against marid-core document.

If those are documents which were discussed and created in the IETF
"discussions area" (see below)  They are the property of IETF and *not*
MS -- unless I am mis-reading RFC's

Here's what MS agreed to when they joined the IETF mail-list as part of the
IETF "discussions area" :-

<quote>

                                Note Well

Any submission to the IETF intended by the Contributor for publication
as all or part of an IETF Internet-Draft or RFC and any statement made
within the context of an IETF activity is considered an "IETF
Contribution". Such statements include oral statements in IETF
sessions, as well as written and electronic communications made at any
time or place, which are addressed to:

      * the IETF plenary session,
      * any IETF working group or portion thereof,
      * the IESG, or any member thereof on behalf of the IESG,
      * the IAB or any member thereof on behalf of the IAB,
      * any IETF mailing list, including the IETF list itself, any
        working group or design team list, or any other list
        functioning under IETF auspices,
      * the RFC Editor or the Internet-Drafts function

All IETF Contributions are subject to the rules of RFC 3667 and RFC
3668.

Statements made outside of an IETF session, mailing list or other
function, that are clearly not intended to be input to an IETF
activity, group or function, are not IETF Contributions in the context
of this notice.

Please consult RFC 3667 for details.
</quote>

Slainte,