Re: Patent license

2004-08-24 06:58:42
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Rodolfo Sikora wrote:

Did u guys watch Revolution OS "movie"?
These things remember me Bill Gates'  letter to the GNU community.

Microsoft embrases GNU community during press conference and laughs about
this sharade in the back room. Yea, we've seen one one those...

In reality Microsoft sees OpenSource and Linux as its biggest rival to its
global corporate power and it sees GNU there core that it can not do anything
about because license is well constructed so that anything that is GNU stays
GNU including anything derived or rebranded, for company that is used to
making money ots its software, that is not acceptable at all and widespread
of these ideas of free software is a big threat to them.

So if they can make use of patent and copyright system to try to make a
statement that GNU software is not compliant with internet standards, this
is certainly in their interest eventhough they really don't intend to make
any money out of their CallerID and similar patents or its licenses. Watch
out for similar tactics coming out of some other big companies as well and
be ready between the lines on their public statements ...

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks