Re: Some thoughts about spam and SPF

2004-08-25 15:27:37
Matthew(_dot_)van(_dot_)Eerde(_at_)hbinc(_dot_)com wrote:

I think most domains will run black/white SPF domains where the authoritative
constants are all 1, with a final 0all.  But it's still a good idea to build
flexibility into SPF to encourage adoption.

Hmm...I guess the question is, is the added flexibility worthwhile enough to justify a significant increase in complexity? I see a few issues:

- SPF checking libraries will no longer be returning a nice, simple, multiple-choice response. They'll be returning a probability. This changes and complicates the interface with other programs.

- Currently, the way the MTA is supposed to react to each of the possible SPF returns is pretty cut and dried. When you throw in probabilities, it becomes much hazier. At what point do I bounce the mail? 95%? 90%? 50%? Everyone will make their own choices, and we no longer really have a standardized, predictable response. The whole thing becomes much more non-deterministic. Different sites will be treating the same SPF record completely differently.

- This would be enough of a change to the syntax to require a new version string and new versions of all the libraries. Is it worth it?