Re: Moving forward

2004-10-01 16:23:01
Geez... Enough!

Let me try to set some things straight here:

1) Meng and I are generally listed as co-authors on the drafts, and we have both been involved in their writing. In the last few months, yes, I have done the bulk of the editing.

2) I thought my post was asking for input, and indeed many people responded with some. And, I read the response as overwhelmingly in favor of putting forth Classic SPF for experimental status.

3) I thought my post also made it clear that my own desires for a future of SPF were not at issue (which is why they were not included -- I didn't want to muddy the issue.) Let me say it again: I'm setting aside my own technical choices for now. My role is technical documentation editor and shepherd.

4) I'm not sure where you get:
"Both Mark and Meng have *explicitly* said that they don't want to standardize SPFv1."
and
"...Mark has said that he doesn't want to see SPFv1 (SPF-classic) standardized." Perhaps this was in the context of Sender ID drafts, and I don't think such statements apply now. (I'd be happy to explain my logic then, and why it doesn't apply now, but really this is for another thread.)

At this juncture, as my last post stated, I see that SPFv1 makes sense to be published as and Experimental RFC. And that includes all the nits, whether or not I like them.

5) It is true that I haven't coded an SPF library that is generally available. I don't think that diminishes my post to MXCOMP. I have written code and scripts, sample code, and consulted on at least one implementation for SPF. My post to MXCOMP was meant to convey that I would not be doing the same for anything covered by Microsoft's IPR claim due to their license. While I haven't contributed coding effort to the degree that others have to the various open source SPF implementations, I have been involved in coding, just less in the mainstream eye.

As for PRA code, I *did* implement PRA for testing purposes, and I even distributed that source code, all before the Microsoft IPR details were known. And I was very upset about having done so once the full IPR ramifications were known.

        - Mark

Mark Lentczner
http://www.ozonehouse.com/mark/
markl(_at_)glyphic(_dot_)com