Re: Re: [SPF v1 Draft] Last chance before I submit...

2004-10-17 13:53:53
Hang on -

If someone wants to use a record for something - we can't stop them.  In
extremis - if someone decided to reject mail coming from a sender with an
spf record which contained the letter q - we could not do anything about it.

If M$ want to use an spf record for an authenciation system it wasn't
designed for - that's their perogative.  We cannot stop them.

What we *can* do is -

1.    Forget M$ - they are being far too successfull at distracting us.
2.    Make spfv=1 better understood and clear up the specification.
3.    Publicise the fact that spfv=1 works well for onehop mails, which
account for a huge proportion of e-mail transmissions.
4.    Publicly rebuff any attempts to use spfv=1 records for any other
purpose other than those it was designed for.

We need as many people as possible to publish spfv=1 records.

Slainte,

JohnP.
johnp(_at_)idimo(_dot_)com
ICQ 313355492