Re: Sender ID in the news

2004-10-26 00:44:08
Wayne,

Excellent follow-up!

Koen

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 01:14:43PM -0500, wayne wrote:
In <20041025170706(_dot_)28EE6606(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com>
mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com (Meng Weng Wong) writes:

I just got off the phone with Paul_Roberts(_at_)idg(_dot_)com who is
writing a story on Sender ID.  I gave him my opinion that it
was a good thing that MS's PRA checks could reuse v=spf1
records.

Thanks for the heads-up Meng.  I sent the following message off to
Paul.  Anyone who thinks I blew it with this message is free to
correct me and/or send Paul info.

Hi.

Meng Weng Wong just mentioned on the SPF-discuss mailing list that he
talked to you about Sender ID and and re-using SPF records.

I am Wayne Schlitt and I have been involved with the SPF project since
near the start, I am the author of one of the most widely used SPF
systems, and I was very active in the IETF MARID working group.

                [SNIP]

As such, I believe that using SenderID with existing SPF records is
risky, and the IETF agrees.  I also believe that using SenderID at all
right now is risky because there has never been a complete
specification.  The technical flaws of SenderID still exist and the
IETF didn't think such problems could be resolved.

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.