RE: Vote of confidence/no-confidence in Meng as SPF representative

2004-10-26 18:11:27
Meng Weng Wong [mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com] wrote:
Perhaps I haven't been as forthcoming as possible, but there are a
couple of good reasons for that: first, if I were to give a full report
on every conversation I have, I wouldn't have time to get any work done.
Second, do the people on this list really expect me to lay out my
strategy for getting what we want, at the potential expense of our
opponent, on a public mailing list which our opponent is monitoring?

Nobody even remotely requested "a full report on every conversation" of
yours.  But there's a monumental difference between giving "a full report
on every conversation" and giving rare and vague hints on why it might be
a good idea to trust you and do nothing while various key features of SPF
(classic) appear to get traded in for some backing from a untrustworthy
company like Microsoft.

I do not subscribe to the idea of doing politics the dirty way, as
necessary politics per se may be.  But if you choose going the dirty
route, with horse-trading and secret plans and all, mistrust and
resistance is what you'll have to expect, even from your supposed own
camp.  SPF classic has always been developed in an open process, so it's
only natural that at least some of its contributors find it hard to see
painful amounts of horse-trading going on and do nothing, at your
instruction.