Re: (off-list) RE: [comment] Vote of confidence/no-confidence in Meng as SPF representative

2004-10-27 02:41:42
Hi Seth,

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 04:30:49AM -0500, Seth Goodman wrote:
This is an insult. Apparently, the amount of time I and others are
spending on spf as volunteers is not noted at all. Well, if that's the
case why should we bother anymore? Meng no longer cares, all those
people who rarely posted to the spf list and haven't ever written a
single piece of code or documentation don't care. Then why should I
care. Let microsoft take it over, mess it up, and we're back at square
one.

I'm really sorry that I started this thread.  My intention was to get Meng
to disclose his plans to a small trusted group who could report back to the
rest of us that everything was or wasn't OK.  I certainly didn't want this
to get to the point where people who have contributed, like you have, feel
insulted or betrayed by others in the community.  I have not written any SPF
code, but I have been very active on the SES development list and have
helped with the code over there.  I hope for that work to give people an
alternative to SRS, as I think it is a hindrance to SPF deployment, but that
is another story.  Anyway, I appreciate what you and others are doing with
the help project and your plans for documentation.  I'm sorry for stirring
up this pot.  I should have left this to William, who is far more diplomatic
than I and was handling it very well.

Don't feel sorry, this feeling of mine (and apparently i am not the only
one) was there already because a number of other threads. Sooner or
later it would have come out anyway.

To some other poster who replied to my previous post: no I do not think
i am a big fish. I am very much replacable, as I have already mentioned
on irc a couple of times, and I am very aware of that fact. It's just
that it hurts to see how the work your doing is a. unnoticed and b. used
by microsoft who have enough money to pay their own staff.

I do appreciate your input very much normally though, and I think ses is
a viable alternative to the forwarding problem, in combination with some
provision in the spf record. Maybe we should push for this in v=spf1
instead of waiting for spf2 (or no, given that ms is already doing spf2
we should go on and do spf3 :)

Koen

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.