Re: [comment] Vote of confidence/no-confidence in Meng as SPF representative

2004-10-27 19:26:20
On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 03:03:16AM -0600, Joe Thompson wrote:
Some of us lurkers who remain fairly inactive on the list are here because
we're patiently anticipating the day SPF reaches a level where we can
deploy it to all our networks and clients networks as standard working
practice.  We don't say much because we don't have much useful to offer
(other than helping with that whole widespread deployment thing) or we have
little time to volunteer but we DO in fact appreciate everything done by
volunteers working on the project.  We're just hoping the politics end and
project development can continue on unhindered by IP and Trademark
stipulations.

So I rarely post, but I'm posting now to say there are plenty of us who do
care!  We would hate to see innovation halted for no good reason, and when
the dust settles and we can see that the project will continue on in a good
direction many of us are more than willing to offer what support we can
whether monetary or otherwise.

Keep up the good work, but please work through the politics soon.

Speaking as a 100% lurker (until this message), I'd like to echo what Joe says
above. Normally I wouldn't post a "me too" message to a public mailing list, but
the tone on this list at present warrants it IMHO.

The number one reason why I subscribed to each of the SPF lists was because I
wanted an idea about where SPF was heading post MARID. I'm a little disappointed
to be replying to a thread like this one.

Having implemented what I guess you are calling Classic SPF, I have two requests
for Santa this Christmas.

Santa, if you are listening:

        Can you get all the major ISPs to add spfv1 records to their DNS
entries. I don't
        give a flying [expletive deleted] if it does anything for them. It sure
would make
        my life easier. It won't solve all the problems, but it's a step in the
right
        direction. Please Santa, don't give any presents to those people who
are too
        lazy to add spfv1 records. They don't deserve any.

        And secondly, Santa, can you ask all the people who are contributing to
the
        on-going development of the standards to be pragmatic and get on with
the job.
        We can't wait forever for the be-all and end-all standard.

        Give my regards to the Mrs.

        TIA.

I'm not knowledgeable enough about all the issues to debate them here. I'd just
like to say that this lurker appreciates the work done so far and I hope you
guys
don't drop the ball.

--
John Birrell

P.S. If you work for an ISP of any size, big or small. Just add the damned spfv1
     records. Please.