Re: [comment] Vote of confidence/no-confidence in Meng as SPF representative

2004-10-26 21:22:08
Yeah, this is another example of your "perfect leadership", where you
get all the credit for the results from other people's efforts when
those people don't have a clue.

w> That should be "those people that give you credit don't have a clue"

w> -wayne

Anyone who has visited the SPF lists will appreciate, be thankful and
very aware of the massive amount of hard work put in by some
contributors here.

From Seth's original post.

SG> QUESTION:
SG>
SG> 1) Are you willing to allow Meng continue to negotiate on behalf
SG> of the SPF community as things currently stand?

Nothing about perfect leadership or satisfaction with everything that
has occured!   My starting point is the comment from Scott Kitterman
and reasons given for yes which broadly mirror my own, but I'll go a
little further.

I need SPF or a varient to succeed.  Discussions here IMO well before
MARID have made sure that Meng is now the only person who is capable
of delivering even a non-optimal solution.   As pointed out in
other threads the attitude of some contributors has made this list
a joke.  Often when I evangelise about SPF to small business clients,
I get comments back a few days later, when they have visited the
archives that they will NEVER base any commercial plans for SPF on the
omnidirectional discussion here.  Contrast this to the fantastic
direction and sterling work being done in spf-help to get deployment
exploding.

Meng has thus become from the commercial perspective the only reliable
source of progress for SPF.  No wonder Meng can state with authority
that he has considerable email support for his actions, his massive
deployment tour to commercial interests will have no doubt expanded
his email support yet again.

I note with interest that some people have recently worried about loss
of control, wake up guys, control of the snowball was lost the day the
first official draft was released to developers/users for deployment.
The natural loss of control imo, was not replaced with the normal
open source respect for the maintainers of spec in this list when
contact with outside implementers and commercial interests were often
met with abuse.   Please don't complain that Meng and possibly Mark
appear to have been contacted direct instead, then distanced
themselves from the fighting and chosen to run with the ball.

What on earth makes anybody imagine that a new leader will do better
than Meng's spectacular failure to solicit donations or be provided
with options to delegate some tasks ?   Commercial patronage both in
time and funds is clearly required, I see no one else able to deliver.

--

Shane