Re: SRS/SES mailing lists?

2004-11-09 10:54:40
On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Paul Iadonisi wrote:

  My basic question is, though I understand the principle difference
between SRS and SES (SRS rewrites MAIL FROM for forwarded mail where SES
rewrites MAIL FROM for all outgoing mail), does SES solve, or attempt to
solve the same forwarding problem that SRS does?

It does, but by approaching the problem differently. If you have signed
return path addresses that recipients can verify, then recipients can
detect forgery regardless of the message's origin. The bogus underlying
assumption of SPF no longer matters and forwarding just works.

Because if it does, I'm wondering why time is being spent on SRS when
SES provides the additional protection of preventing false bounces even
when implemented unilaterally.

Beats me.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
MALIN HEBRIDES: NORTHEAST 4 OR 5 INCREASING 6. RAIN LATER. GOOD BECOMING