Re: About 15 minutes ago at the FTC summit, Meng said SRS sucks

2004-11-10 23:25:58
In
<Pine(_dot_)LNX(_dot_)4(_dot_)44(_dot_)0411102045350(_dot_)32295-100000(_at_)sokol(_dot_)elan(_dot_)net>
 "william(at)elan.net" <william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net> writes:

If I can convince them (which is not likely, but they have 0 deployment
right now, so maybe they are little more open to more extendable format
and its not a big change), then I think SES people and SRS really should
change to fit into BATV framework so that all can co-exist together
(right now that is not possible).

Why should SES and SRS change just because Dave Crocker, et al
reinvented the wheel?

Since BATV has 1 (one) deployed system, wouldn't it be much easier to
just abandon it and stick with SRS/SES?

P.S. The talk with Doag was very education on several other issues,
despite what you guys may think he's very very good at technical level.
I'll tell you more in posts tomorrow about the kind of problem that he
brought up that I think we should work more on.

I hate to say it, but no, I do not think that Doug Otis is "very very
good at [the] technical level."  *IF* any meaning can be extracted out
of his long incoherent rants, I think you will find that a great deal
of it is bogus.

For example, his DNS poisoning stuff that he ranted about at the FTC
summit shows that he is missing really important things.  The use of
random port numbers (djbdns for a long time and now bind) greatly
reduces the problem and the birthday attack that lets you poison a
cache in a few hundred attempts requires both the lack of random port
numbers *and* the same query, which isn't the case for an SPF record.

I've tried many times to dig through Doug's posts for real
information.  While it is clear that Doug is intelligent, it is also
clear that he spews a lot of BS wrapped in technical jargon and he
isn't worth listening to.  I have long ago given up responding to him.

Maybe one on one you can get him to focus and maybe you were able to
get some good info out of him, it is certainly a possibility.  If so,
please bring up the points.  Maybe you can even act as a translator
for us.

-wayne