Re: Sendmail white paper

2004-11-20 11:33:29
Michael Weiner wrote:
On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 11:21 -0500, Chuck Mead wrote:

Great... let's just not implement it then. Let's hang on to the stinking, rotting corpse of the "kinder gentler" internet and leave the new one in the hands of the spammers, the 419 scammers, the viruses and the worms.

In recent weeks I have concluded that we're (meaning, essentially those who understand how email works) never going to allowed to fix this problem. Why? Because the lusers and the pin head govt officials and the pointy headed MBA dweebs with just enough clue to "get" what a mailing list is used for do *NOT* have the WILL (intestinal fortitude) to see that their precious internet is dead.

Forwarding sucks!

Quite succinctly said Chuck, now you see why i seconded your nomination.
Its this type of ideology thats going to KILL spf and everything we've
worked for to this point.

Yup... their misplaced ideology could very well do that exact thing. Evreytime I hear someone whine, "But that would kill forwarding" in a mealy mouthed voice I just cringe... it makes me physically ill that they are willing to continue as they are with a choked, unusable resource simply because of this unwillingness to change and all the while the same whiners are bemoaning the fact that there Inbox is full of unwanted communications from liars, cheats and thieves! Do they simply not get that the preservation of forwarding is killing the resource they want to use? What is so damn hard about understanding that if you want to fix the problems you have to be willing to make some fscking changes to the infrastructure that makes it all work! /me tilts at windmills over this! Good god how simple is it to re-send from your own damned envelope? God almighty... all anybody should care about is that the message gets where it needs to go and be readable when it arrives... can the lusers not fscking *READ* the damned message and tell where it came from? Geeeeezuz this is soooooooooooo utterly stupid!

Optionally, i know this will *never* happen, i would really like to see
us trash the "band-aides" and just simply FIX the problem - fix SMTP so
we dont have to band-aide in order to deliver.

Oh... now there's a good plan... what should we call that project... certainly not SPF! :-)

SMTP2 ???

And while we're at it lets require successful completion of a course in critical thinking (taught by someone capable of it) prior to graduation from high school and a basic skills license (like a drivers license) before you're allowed near a computer or (worse) on the internet! ;-)

--
csm(_at_)moongroup(_dot_)com, head geek
http://moongroup.com